Monday, March 12, 2012

Calls Show No Ringing Endorsement of Hoover

Monday evening, and I'm still working my way through the phonemail. Not since I opposed the Persian Gulf War have so many of youfelt compelled to reach out and telephonically touch me. The callspoured in all day; I stopped counting at 200.

You wanted to talk about Larry Hoover, the convicted murdererwho has gained the backing of many prominent community leaders whowant to see him released from his 150- to 200-year sentence. Withhim or against him, you spoke your piece with passion, anger and(most of the time) intelligence.

In Monday's column, I provided the office telephone numbers ofmany of the aldermen, politicians and community activists who havecome out in support of Hoover. Many of you worked your way throughthe list and then called me to share your experiences. Hoover'ssupporters - who comprised less than 10 percent of the calls Ireceived - also weighed in loud and clear, and often displayed animaginative talent for using multiple obscenities.

One of Hoover's fans said I copped out: "You should haveincluded one more telephone number. Yours."

Didn't need to. First of all, I'm not hard to reach; even thedimmest bulbs should be capable of dialing the Sun-Times and askingfor me. And anyway, I figured that at least one of the offices Ilisted would attempt to turn the tables on me by giving out one of mydirect lines and saying the person on the list could be reached atthat number.

Sure enough, that's what happened, but I didn't mind. See,anyone who was calling a name on the list agreed with me - so whywould I care if they were put in touch with me so they could showerme with compliments?

Some of those I named contacted me to say they'd beenmisrepresented, but none denied supporting Hoover's release. Ifanyone does so, I'll let you know.

A sampling of the calls I received: Lu Palmer: "You defined me as a staunch ally of Larry Hoover. Thatis a lie. Yes, I support his release on parole - because there issome possibility he might return to the community, and acting inconcert with several of us who care about the future, he may be ableto turn this carnage around. No one else I have been able to come upwith has demonstrated this potential. I'm willing to take the gamble- for Mr. Hoover to join with us to help stop the insanity and thecarnage. I do not appreciate white people trying to define me. Youcannot do that." A black, female Chicago police officer: "This was a great idea.I've been making calls on my lunch hour, and I won't stop until I'vespoken with everybody you named. They should be ashamed ofthemselves." U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds: "Sometimes I don't know what some of theseleaders of the African-American community are thinking. Mygrandmother had to live the last years of her life behind lockeddoors because she feared people like Larry Hoover. I am adamantlyopposed to his release, and my constituents also do not want this manout of jail." A white, suburban man: "I'd like to know where (Attorney General)Roland Burris stands on this issue. He's the highest-ranking lawenforcement officer in the state, and he's running for governor - buthe's neutral on Larry Hoover? I happen to have a positive opinion ofMr. Burris, but I want him to take a stand on this, or I won't beable to vote for him in good conscience." Prince Asiel Ben Israel: "The African-American community is matureenough in 1993 to have the spirit, intelligence and political powerto make its own decisions. The white community ought to respect theability of black leadership to make these decisions. Larry Hoover isnot going to be released into a Polish-American community or an Irishcommunity, he's going to be released into our neighborhoods. If hedoesn't do the things he has said he will do, if he violates the law,send him back to jail. I have spent time with Larry Hoover and haveasked him many pointed questions, and I believe he is committed toworking for peace and the end of murder and death in theAfrican-American community." A black, female corporate attorney: "I just wanted to say thank you,thank you, very much. As a succesful black woman, I'm ashamed of theway these black men are bowing to Larry Hoover." A black minister: "As a white male, Mr. Roeper, you cannotunderstand the plight of the black community, no matter how honorableyour intentions. Look at that distinguished list of leaders andplease understand their strength and integrity. They will notabandon Mr. Hoover if he is released from prison - they will keep awatchful eye on him. That is more than can be said of the many othermurderers who are released into the streets." A black, male insurance executive: "I'm disgusted by these so-calledleaders. They're a disgrace."

No comments:

Post a Comment